Wide Width - 999PA Divorce (1).jpg


A dissolution of marriage is when both spouses choose to end the relationship mutually with one another. In the route of dissolution, there is no involvement of the courts.

AP logo.png
reuters logo.png
telemundo logo.png


When it comes to the legal terms of divorce and dissolution, a divorce normally requires the courts to legally and officially deem the marriage terminated. Often this route is taken when the couple has children or financial ties to one another. 


In a dissolution, couples can still request assistance from the legal system; however, for the most part, the decision to separate is made with both parties in agreement. 


In York, PA, the term dissolution is often referred to as a no-fault divorce. 


A no-fault divorce is when the reason for the marriage ending is neither party's fault, whereas, in a divorce, one party or both parties can blame the other or a situation. In divorce filings, a spouse could claim infidelity, abuse, abandonment, etc., as reasons for petitioning for a divorce. 


When papers are filed for a no-fault divorce, neither party can contest the reasoning; whereas, an at-fault divorce can be challenged. 


What constitutes a no-fault divorce?


A couple or spouse may file a no-fault divorce if the couple has grown out of love, the relationship is no longer sustainable, or simply, both parties have chosen to end their legal relationship to one another for no other reason but just to end it.


If either spouse has made the decision to dissolve their marriage, a few things that they should consider include: 


If they have children, it is essential to consider custodial rights. This is particularly important if the spouses choose to no longer live together or if one decides to relocate. Couples who choose to dissolve their marriage need to determine what is going to happen with the children. Are the children going to be jointly shared and cared for, or are the children going to be in the care of one primary parent while the other parent has custodial weekend or holiday visits? In cases where children are involved, dissolution, or divorce, seeking proper assistance and guidance is recommended.


In situations where a marriage is dissolved, there is, at no point, an obligation from one party to provide financial support or alimony, as it is often referred to in divorce proceedings. If, in the marriage, one spouse was the breadwinner, determining the breakdown of the finances is essential and fair. If no children are involved, this is slightly easier to manage; however, if children are involved, the division of who is to pay for what expenses should be discussed and determined. Other instances where finances may be considered are if money from one spouse was given to the other spouse for a significant expense in the marriage. This could include, but is not limited to, a car, down payment for the house, or education; these considerations should be discussed between both parties, and a resolution should be determined.

Estates and Belongings

While a dissolution means that both parties have mutually chosen to end their marriage, they have accumulated an array of assets during their time together. These assets could include but are not limited to homes, cars, cottages, jewelry, and pets. Typically, there is an instant division of estates and belongings in divorce proceedings, whether it is an at-fault or not; however, the division is not always equal and something that both parties agree to or like. In situations where there is a substantial amount of assets, the use of a legal representative is recommended to ensure fairness and that both parties receive their fair share. Other factors should be considered, and a legal representative can cover all the necessary bases that may apply to one particular situation.

Seth and his staff are very nice and helpful people. They are helping me through a very difficult time in my life and I'm glad to have them on my side to represent me. I highly recommend this firm.

- Shelby M.

Seth took the extra time to fully explain to me thoroughly in detail the answers to all of the questions i had. He sensed my urgency and immediately went to the courthouse to file.

- Michael B.


To file a dissolution, one or both parties must file a petition requesting the end of the marriage. 


This step can be done with both parties, or the parties can do it separately. As well as filing for a petition to dissolve the marriage, both parties must provide full disclosure of their assets and debts. 



This is done to determine whether the requests being filed in the dissolution and any arrangements, support or not, are fair and equitable to both parties. 



Once the county courts have received the petition, the judge reviews the document as well as the disclosure of assets. They examine the documents; if there are children involved, they review the arrangements set by the parties, and they then make a decision. This decision is often to finalize the separation and that the courts and judge agree with the motions filed by the parties. 



Suppose one or both parties decide after filing the petition to make changes, for example, requesting more financial support or changing the custodial arrangements. In that case, the courts and judge may require more time to review the documents and the reasoning for such changes.


Going through a divorce or dissolution of marriage can be overwhelming and stressful; if you are in the York, PA area, consider seeking 999padivorce.com, as they can provide the necessary guidance and support through this difficult time. 


A legal representative does not necessarily have to represent you during the process; however, taking the time to consult with a knowledgeable legal representative is advisable, especially if there are children or significant assets involved. 


Legal representatives can provide support in: 

  • Filing the petition

  • Knowing your rights 

  • Dividing of assets 

  • Understanding the legal process 


Remember, despite your relationship with the person, it is still important to ensure that your rights and what you are entitled to are met and respected. Consider seeking proper legal counsel to know your rights and what you are entitled to when your relationship comes to an end.